(not satire – it’s the Tories and the Lib Dems!)
The NHS has been severely damaged by the coalition government over the last 4 years.
But don’t just take my word for that.
Dr Mark Porter, the head of the BMA, thinks so too. That’s not just some lefty anti-government think-tank – that’s the British Medical Association, which represents 153,000 doctors, GPs and other medical specialists and staff across the country.
Dr Porter gave a devastating speech today to the BMA Annual Representatives Meeting in which he astonishingly said the coalition government must “face up to the damage that they have done” to the NHS.
In his dramatic speech, Dr Porter specifically listed the ways that the NHS has been damaged over the last 4 years by the Tories and the Liberal Democrats:
- The coalition government have imposed policies that “force us to do the absolute opposite of what our patients need”.
- The coalition government have made cuts to frontline services in the NHS that “eat away at the fabric of care and destroy innovation”.
- The coalition government have “imposed in England a new NHS without evidence, without mandate and without support”.
- The coalition government have spent “at least £1.6 billion” implementing their top-down reforms to the NHS which continue to “consume the energies of thousands of NHS staff who never even wanted it, just to stop it unravelling”.
- Since the coalition government passed their NHS reforms, there has been “a bumper year for the multinationals”- especially for their “armies of lawyers and accountants who find the curative so lucrative”.
- The coalition government – through their “misguided legislation” – have been “doing the exact opposite” of “working to make it better for patients”.
- NHS commissioning managers “are being driven to distraction by the madness of the market”.
- The coalition government’s agenda on the NHS is “to override any investment, suppress any incentive, erode any service, in the single interest of bleeding every penny it can out of the system”.
- The coalition government have spent billions on “fragmenting care by forcing the NHS to open up to private bidders” and on “droves of management consultants with their pointless flipcharts”.
- The coalition government have wasted money on “untested policies, not hard-working public servants”.
- There has been a chronic lack of investment in “emergency medicine, in general practice, in public health, in mental health, across the NHS”.
- The coalition government’s “blanket refusal to invest” is “economic illiteracy”.
- There have been “four years of waste and cuts and missed opportunities”.
And finally this gem:
- The only single cause for celebration about the coalition government’s reforms of the NHS is “that most of it doesn’t apply in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland”.
So there you have it – straight from the horse’s mouth.
The Tories and the Lib Dems have done their best to destroy the NHS in England over the last 4 years.
So if you know anyone who still needs a reason not to vote for either of the coalition parties at the next election?
Tell them to take their pick from any of the above.
You can see the full transcript of Dr Porter’s speech here:
Related articles by Tom Pride: